This coming April 30th will mark the 10 year anniversary of Tina Fey’s cult classic film, Mean Girls. 10 years, a decade; we are all getting old as hell. This movie completely changed my outlook on chick flicks and rom-coms opening up the door to other great movies such as Easy A and Pitch Perfect. In honor of the 10 year anniversary, we decided to find some random Mean Girls fun facts strictly for educational purposes.
1. Rachel McAdams who plays, Regina George, wore a blonde wig while filming the movie
Boo, you whore!
- Lohan Birthday: July 2, 1986
- McAdams Birthday: November 17, 1978
3. Oh, You Girls Keep me Young!
Amy Poehler who plays Mrs. George is only seven years older than her on screen daughter Rachel McAdams (Regina George). Her birthday is on September 16, 1971.
4. Lindsay Lohan was the original Regina George!
Afraid that the public would typecast her as a mean girl, Lohan decided to play the nice girl so her real-life personality would not be compared to the character. Wonder how different her life would have been if she had played Regina….
5. Glenn Coco? None for you, you go Glenn Coco!
#FilmFact: GLENN COCO IS AN ACTUAL PERSON! His name is David Reale, a Canadian actor born 1984.
— blinkbox (@blinkbox) December 15, 2013
The actor who played Glen Coco never recieved a credit for the film. Now he is credited. Also in real life, Glenn Coco is a good friend of Tina Fey.
Amanda Seyfried plays Karen in the film but was initially supposed to play Cady. Producer Lorne Michaels thought she would be better as the dumb girl. He was right….
The first and only choice for the role of Gretchen Weiners was Lacey Chabert. I agree with their decision. She is also my first and only choice for a wife, so…. I hope she reads this.
8. Even the White House is a fan of Mean Girls!
Bo, stop trying to make fetch happen. pic.twitter.com/Ez6hWGFpFc
— The White House (@WhiteHouse) August 13, 2013
On August 13, 2013, the White House tweeted a photo of the Obamas’ dog, Bo holding a tennis ball in his mouth with the caption “Bo, stop trying to make fetch happen.”
This movie is based upon the book with a very long title: “Queen Bees and Wannabes: Helping Your Daughter Survive Cliques, Gossip, Boyfriends, and Other Realities of Adolescence” by Rosalind Wiseman.
10. And there was a Video Game….
There was a video game version of Mean Girls adapted for PC and Nintendo DS. Unfortunately I have yet to play this game. Honestly, don’t think I really ever will either.
11. Tim Meadows broke his hand before filming
That explains the cast, even though the writers said that Mr. Duvall had carpal tunnel. They could have gotten a lot more creative with that little fun fact…
12. Regina actually means Queen
The name Regina actually means queen in a few languages. A fitting name to coincide with the title of the book.
13. Remember when Cady actually recognizes one of the songs being played?
That song is Built This Way, which was performed and co-written by London-born singer-songwriter and DJ Samantha Ronson. About four years after the release of this movie, and after several years of press speculation, Lindsay Lohan and Ronson acknowledged they were in a romantic relationship. Whoa….
14. Ever wonder what Kevin Gnapoor’s business card says?
In the math class Kevin gives Cady his card. It says, KEVIN GNAPOOR MATH ENTHUSIAST/BAD-ASS M.C. 847-555-2148
15. Mrs. Norbury is a real person…
She was Tina Fey’s old German teacher.
16. Evanston, Illinois is where Mean Girls was set, but not filmed….
The movie was actually mostly filmed in Canada with a few other locations including New Jersey and California. The photo above is a Barnes & Noble in Evanston, Illinois…. assuming that is what Karen was referring to.
17. “Hell, no. I did not leave the South Side for this!”
This is a direct quote from the movie Lean on Me, a movie about a principal struggling to improve a decaying school.
18. Why are you so obsessed with me?
Mariah Carey has stated numerous times that she’s a huge fan of the movie and directly quotes Mean Girls in the intro to the song “Obsessed.”
22. Kevin Gnapoor had help learning to Rap…..
Amy Poehler, Tina Fey, and Lindsay Lohan taught him how to rap.
23. Silicone is not an element on the Periodic Table
Although Silicon is…. the teacher in this scene was probably just referring to Regina’s chest!
24. Ever see this “I <3 Gretchen Weiners” Shirt?
For some reason, none of my friends want to wear this shirt….
25. Aaron Samuels (Jonathan Bennett) is also Grool in person….
During a trip to LA, I ended up at a party with Jonathan Bennett who played Aaron Samuels. He told me I’d look sexy with my hair pushed back.
Take what you’ve now learned and share this newfound knowledge with your friends the next time you watch Mean Girls.
By: Pat Hanavan